New to Victoria?
Settlement Orientation Services a community-based organization that supports refugee claimants in navigating Canada’s refugee determination process
Find free newcomer services near you - Click
NewToBC partners with libraries and immigrant service providers to develop, deliver, and promote services and resources that support immigrant settlement and integration in communities across the province
Alone in Canada: 21 Ways to Make it Better - A Self-Help Guide for Single Newcomers, available in more than 15 different languages
Learn, Live and Work in BC - designed to answer any questions you may have about coming to study here in British Columbia
Information for places to go & things to do - [HelloBC], [Tourism Victoria]
Government Forms forms to help with your settlement into Canada
- MSP (Medical Services Plan) - [Eligibility], [MSP - Apply Online]
- PharmaCare for BC Residents - [Eligibility], [Fair PharmaCare - Apply Online]
- ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) - [Driver Licensing & ID]
- SIN (Social Insurance Number) - [Eligibility], [Enrolment]
- Guide to the Employment Standards Act
- WorkSafe BC
- Employment Insurance benefits -[Apply Online]
- Skilled Immigrant InfoCentre - online and in-person resource centre that helps newcomers to Canada find the information they need to get a job, explore careers or start a business
- Top 20 Job Posting Sites in Canada
- Resume Format in Canada
- The Winning Resume - Presented by SASS Careers
- Resume Do's and Don'ts - Job Bank
- Resume Builder - Job Bank
- Acing the Interview - Presented by
Skilled Immigrant Infocentre: Starting a BC Business for Newcomers
Small Business BC: Do I have to be a Canadian to start a business in BC?
UBC Small Business Accelerator Program: The Newcomer’s introduction to starting a business in British Columbia
Mentorship BC - Connecting small business owners to mentorship programs across British Columbia
Settlement.org: Business & Self-employment pages
Province of BC: Starting a small business in BC
Worksafe BC: Small Business Resources
Upcoming Job Fair and Employment Events
Events for UVIC Students - Click here
December 7, 2019
Reel Careers in Film & Media: 2019 Career Fair - by Vancouver Island South Film and Media Commission, Creative BC, Camosun College
Network in Victoria & surrounding areas
- VWNC (Victoria Women's Newcomers Club)
- VMNC (Victoria Region Men's and Newcomers Club)
- VENC (Victoria Evening Newcomers Club for Women)
- Newcomers’ Club of Greater Victoria (for women)
- VIATECH (Victoria Innovation, Advanced Technology and Entrepreneurship Council)
- YES (Your Entrepreneurial Society of Victoria)
- VMBC (Victoria Multicultural Business Connector)
- Societe Francophone de Victoria
Community Centre Your Neighbourhood Resource group (Childcare, various activities for family and more!)
- James Bay Community School Centre
- Fernwood Community Centre
- Burnside Gorge Community Association
- Oaklands Community Centre & Association
- Victoria West Community Centre
- Quadra Village Community Centre
- Fairfield Gonzales Community Association
- Victoria Native Friendship Centre
- Saanich Neighbourhood Place
- Esquimalt Neighbourhood House Society
- Eagle Ridge Community Centre - Westshore
- Mary Winspear Centre - Sidney
- Sooke Family Resource Society
- Beacon Community Services
- Panorama Recreation - CRD
- Find nearest Walk-in Clinic and wait time - Click
- Victoria Youth Clinic
- Island Sexual Health
- Find a Doctor
- Affordable Dental Clinic - Camosun
- ORCCA Dental Clinic Society Sidney - provides children and adolescents under 19 years of age from low-income families access to oral care in a not for profit setting
- HealthLink BC - Call 811 to speak to health service navigators, registered nurses, dietitians, qualified exercise professionals and pharmacists
- Healthy Kids Program - provides coverage for basic dental treatment, optical care and hearing assistance to children in low-income families, who are not in receipt of income assistance, disability assistance or hardship assistance.
- To find out if your child is covered call:
- 1-866-866-0800 Press “4” and then “2” (have your child’s Care Card Number handy)
- Immunize BC - Evidence-based immunization information and tools for B.C. residents
- Greater Victoria Public Library
- ICBC (Insurance Corporation of British Columbia) - [Language Services]
- PHSA (Provincial Health Services Authority) - [Language Service]
- Victoria Disability Resource Centre
- TRAC (Tenant Resource & Advisory Centre )
- Here Magazine
- Volunteer Victoria
- The Refugee Readiness Hub
- Service BC - Providing front line support for many of the hundreds of programs and services the provincial government offers to residents, businesses and visitors.
- Service Canada
- BC Ferry Schedule Victoria - Vancouver
- Canada Post - Find a Rate
- Canadian Bankers Association - Banking Basics
- People's Law School - Provide free education and information to help people effectively deal with the legal problems of daily life.
- Community Services - Westshore/Sooke
- Check Processing Times of your immigration application
- IEC(International Experience Canada) - full list of participating countries 2019
- CFEE (Canadian Foundation for Economic Education)
Resources for Children/Parents in BC
- Children in Victoria - Resources
- Youth in Victoria - Resources
- The Society for Children and Youth of BC (SCY) - a unique provincial organization dedicated to improving the well-being of children and youth in British Columbia.
- Representative for Children and Youth - supporting youth and their families in dealing with the provincial child and youth welfare system
- CCRR (Child Care Resource & Referral)
- Childcare BC
- StrongStart BC - Participate with your young child (aged birth to five) in play-based early learning activities
- Ready, Set, Learn - Intended for families and their three- to five-year-old children, Ready, Set, Learn is all about fostering positive connections between families, the school system and local community agencies.
- Affordable Child Care Benefit - [Eligibility], [Enrolment]
- CCB (Canada child benefit) - [Eligibility], [How to apply], [Child and Family Benefits online calculator]
- RESP (Registered Education Savings Plan)
- Victoria International Student Program - Register children to school
Resources for Seniors in BC
- BC Seniors' Guide - Available in French, Chinese, Korean, Punjabi, Vietnamese and Farsi
- Seniors First BC - Protecting the legal rights of older adults, increasing access to justice for older adults, informing the public about elder abuse; and providing supportive programs for older adults who have been abused.
- Newcomers Seniors Multilingual Resources
- Healthy Families BC - Aimed at improving the health and well-being of British Columbians at every stage of life. (Check Aging Well)
- Active Aging Canada - Support lifelong healthy active aging of adult Canadians through participation, education, research, and promotion.
- Retirement Financial Checklist
- Pensions and Benefits
- Canada Pension Plan(CPP)
- Old Age Security(OAS)
- Guaranteed Income Supplement(GIS)
- Canada Pension Plan Disability(CPP-D) Application
Develops, manages and administers a wide range of subsidized housing options across the province.
mission is to be a leading innovative provider of affordable homes and support services that contribute to the independence of individuals and families. owns and/or operates an extensive portfolio of affordable rental housing aimed at low and moderate income individuals and families and people with disabilities.
a non-profit charitable organization dedicated to providing affordable rental housing for low-to-moderate income families, seniors, working singles, and adults with disabilities who live independently.
- Legal Services Society(Legal Aid)
A range of free services available to people with low incomes. Services include legal information, legal advice, and legal representation (a lawyer to take your case).
- TAPS (Together Against Poverty Society)
Providing free, face-to-face legal advocacy for people with income assistance, disability benefits, employment standards, and tenancy issues.
- VIHRC (Vancouver Island Human Rights Coalition)
Through advocacy, support, and human rights education, we assist people who have experienced discrimination.
- FSGV (Family Services of Greater Victoria)
Helps children, youth, and adults manage the challenges of separation, divorce, or transition to a new family structure
An inner-city community centre serving Greater Victoria’s most vulnerable: working poor, impoverished elderly, mentally and physically challenged, addicted and the homeless.
Transitional Housing, Brain Injury, Childcare, Senior, Young Parent outreach, Respite & Respitality
Advocating for and providing emergency shelter, supportive housing, integrated health care and other support services to end homelessness
Providing information and referral regarding community, government and social services in BC. The help line services include 211, the Alcohol and Drug Information and Referral Service (ADIRS), the Problem Gambling Help Line, VictimLink BC, and the Youth Against Violence Line.
- BC Transit - handyDART
An accessible, door-to-door shared transit service for people with permanent or temporary disabilities that prevent them from using fixed-route transit without assistance from another person.
- Crisis Centre (Crisis Intervention and Suicide Prevention Centre of BC)
A non-profit, volunteer organization committed to helping people help themselves and others deal with crisis